You may see a tell-tale service light flashes after replacement of the ECC on 1996 and newer Saturn vehicles.
When this occurs, a Crankshaft Adaptives Reset Procedure and Crankshaft Position Relearn Procedure (Flash) must be performed.
Follow the procedures outlined below in order listed:
Crankshaft Adaptives Reset Procedure
(Must be performed first.)
1. Turn ignition switch to the On position (engine off).
2. Install a suitable scan tool.
3. Identify the vehicle.
4. Select DYNAMIC DISPLAY from the main menu.
5. Select VIEW DATA.
6. Select PCM/ECC.
7. Select VEHICLE ID TABLE.
8. Select Reset Adaptives.
9. Turn ignition switch to the Off position for 10 seconds.
10. Crankshaft Position Relearn Procedure must be performed next.
Crankshaft Position Relearn Procedure
1. Start engine and allow to idle.
2. Note the SERVICE light (flashing).
3. Raise the engine speeds to between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm.
4. Hold rpm between 3,000 to 4,000 rpm until the SERVICE light goes out.
Note: The ECC will abort the procedure if a misfire condition or diagnostic trouble code(s) are present.
Refer to your vehicle’s service manual for detailed relearn procedures specific to your application.
Courtesy of CARDONE Industries. Visit www.cardone.com for more details on Flash.