MAHLE Clevite Inc. recently announced their plans to conduct the 2007 MAHLE Clevite Machinist of the Year Award competition. Now in its 18th year, this nationwide award program is designed to recognize and honor an ASE-certified automotive engine machinist who is judged to be outstanding for his skills and contributions to the industry and his local community.
The entry form and complete details on the MAHLE Clevite Machinist of the Year Award competition are available on MAHLE Clevite’s website: mahleclevite.com, or can be accessed at http://mahleclevite.com/2007_MOTY_Flyer.pdf for the announcement flyer, and http://mahleclevite.com/moty.asp for the online entry form. The online entry form can be filled out and submitted right on the computer screen.
Additionally, The National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) and the Automotive Engine Rebuilders Association (AERA) will assist MAHLE Clevite in bringing the award program to the attention of machinists.
“Clearly, ASE and AERA, two of the industry’s top organizations, see the value of this award program for their members,” says Bill McKnight, head of training and motorsports for MAHLE Clevite.
McKnight says any automotive machinist who is ASE certified as a cylinder head specialist, cylinder block specialist, and/or engine assembly specialist can enter the MAHLE Clevite Machinist of the Year award competition.
Machinists can also be nominated for the award by others in the industry, including automotive service technicians and engine parts wholesalers and retailers.
“If the award winner has been nominated by someone other than himself, MAHLE Clevite will present that individual with a special prize, a check for $250,” says McKnight.
MAHLE Clevite has established a panel of five industry experts to judge the entries they receive for the 2007 award competition. The judges include the chief editors of three of the industry’s most prominent publications. Dennis Borem and Darrell Hoffman, winners of the 2007 MAHLE Engine Builder Showdown, are also serving as judges.
MAHLE Clevite will announce the winner of the 2007 MAHLE Clevite Machinist of the Year Award at the AERA Tech and Skills Regional Conference on November 10. The conference, hosted by MAHLE Clevite, will be held at the University of NW Ohio, located in Lima, OH.
The award winner will receive many fabulous prizes. They include:
- All-expense-paid trip for two to the Performance Racing Industry Show in Orlando, Florida (Dec. 6 8), which includes $500 spending money.
- All-expense-paid trip for one to Charlotte, NC, which includes:
- VIP Tour of NASCAR Technical Institute;
- One-day on track Jeff Gordon Racing School Driving Experience at Lowe’s Motor Speedway; and
- Day on the Dyno with Pro Motor’s Dennis Borem and Darrell Hoffman the winners of the 2007 MAHLE Engine Builder Showdown. Pro Motor is a recognized builder of automotive race engines for three national series of NASCAR. The 2007 MAHLE Clevite Machinist of the Year will spend a day with Borem and Hoffman, learning some of their engine building secrets.