1. How long has your shop been in business and how many bays? We opened our Las Vegas (Decatur) shop in April 2001. It has six work bays and one wash bay. Our second shop in Henderson opened in February 2010, and it has seven work bays and one wash area.
2. How many total years of experience do you have? Thirty-three years…I started fixing cars in my driveway in upstate New York when I was 15 years old.
3. What is your area of repair specialty? We specialize in Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Jaguar, Audi and Volkswagen with an emphasis on driveability.
4. What is the average number of repair orders you write in a week? 76
5. What is the greatest challenge you see facing the industry? Vehicle technology changes very fast, as does the way we communicate with customers. It has grown more expensive to keep up with both.
6. How do you find and keep good technicians/employees? We ask other employees first, interview, interview, interview, and make sure they have the skills and tools they need to do the job we hire them to do.
7. What is the most exciting thing that has happened to your business lately? Being able to open our second location.
8. Tell us something unique about the way you do business. We strive to give our customers the type of experience they would expect to get at the dealership. We want to always exceed expectations from shuttle service to complementary coffee, soda and bottled water, hand washing of cars, thank you notes, follow-up surveys, service reminders, and a clean and professionally decorated waiting area.
9. What are you doing in your spare time when you’re not reading ImportCar magazine? My wife and I are very active in our church, so our spare time is spent helping and serving others.
10. What is your favorite import car? I purchased my first Mercedes-Benz in 1989, a non-turbo diesel, and have driven one ever since.
Editor’s Note: While checking out Frank’s website, I learned about the shop’s Golden Wrench ServiceTM Commitment: “At Frank’s Mercedes, you’ll appreciate the peace of mind, knowing we will provide you and your family with the safest and most reliable auto maintenance and repair services possible. If you feel like your mechanic is practicing at your expense, it’s time to see us.”