If you are looking to hire star employees, the first thing you’ll need to do is meet them, and there’s no better way to do so than by hosting technical seminars at your shop. Let’s look at the extraordinary benefits.
1. You’ll meet the techs that you more than likely would have never met. With rare exception, the industry superstars are presently employed, right? So they’re not reading Craigslist ads and other online postings. They’re not looking for a job, so they’re not going to respond to your recruiting efforts. On the other hand, they’re often looking for ways to improve their technical skills, so be a resource for them!
2. When the techs come to your facility they’ll have the chance to not only be impressed with your entire operation, but they’ll be able to meet with your existing employees. When the visiting techs hear that your employees really enjoy working at your company, you will be one step closer to bringing them aboard.
3. These seminars will allow you to evaluate the techs who attend. By keeping a close eye on how they engage others, how involved they are, the kinds of questions they ask, etc., you’ll be able to determine if they may be a good fit in your company. Much like a mini-interview.
4. Trust me: The stars know the stars. I learned a long time ago that even if "technician Mike" is happy where he’s at, he’ll know other stars who may not be. These seminars give you a great opportunity to build those priceless relationships that enable you to call Mike at a later date if you’re looking for a tech, service advisor, etc.
5. By hosting technical seminars, you’ll be reselling all of your employees on your company. They’ll be proud that they work at an industry leading facility that cares enough to invest in its people, and host these kinds of training programs.
6. Remember, the worst time to look for a superstar employee is when you need one. Even if you presently have a team of stars, when the day comes that you need a new employee, it’s always nice to have a pipeline full of qualified contacts … and candidates.
For additional help running a more successful auto repair business, learn more about the one-on-one coaching and customized action plan offered through the Elite Coaching Program.