When certain Volvos are driven through puddles of water, slush or snow, the exhaust may cool down fast enough to change shape and touch the propeller shaft, causing a high-pitched squealing noise. This noise will be noticed by the driver for only a short time, and once the exhaust temperature equalizes, the noise will disappear. A telltale mark will be left on the propeller shaft. Should a customer with a 2001-on AWD model (S60/V70/XC70/S80/XC90) experience this condition, install an exhaust support kit.
1. Remove the existing cross-member and install the new one.
2. Tighten the bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft./lbs.).
3. Install the clamp on the exhaust pipe with the screw hand-tight.
4. Install the rubber blocks and adjust the clamp so that the rubber blocks are vertical.
5. Tighten the bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft./lbs.).
Courtesy of ALLDATA.
For additional information, visit www.alldata.com.