Some 1998 through late-model new Volkswagen Beetles may experience no air flow adjustment at the center air outlet(s). This may be caused by a disengaged connecting arm at the air flow adjustment flap.
- Prior to replacing the center air outlet console for this condition, obtain the radio code and remove the radio (see Radio, Telephone, Navigation Trip computer in Repair Manual CD-ROM).
- Inspect the air flow adjustment flap socket(s) and connecting arm(s) for damage.
- If the air flow adjustment flap socket(s) and connecting arm(s) are not damaged:
- Reinstall (snap) the connecting arm into the socket for the adjustment flap; and
- Ensure that all securing tie straps, felt and foam pads are properly placed to eliminate any rattles.
Technical service bulletin courtesy of Mitchell 1.
For more information on Mitchell 1 products and services, automotive professionals can log onto the company’s website at www.mitchell1.com.