Technician Using Cutting Torch Ignites Fire that Destroys Several Businesses – UnderhoodService

Technician Using Cutting Torch Ignites Fire that Destroys Several Businesses

A technician in Columbia Station, OH, was using a cutting torch when sparks hit the ground and ignited gas that had been spilled on the shop floor. The fire quickly spread and several businesses were destroyed.

om:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:”Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:”Times New Roman”;} span.datestring {mso-style-name:datestring; mso-style-unhide:no;} span.byline {mso-style-name:byline; mso-style-unhide:no;} span.titleline {mso-style-name:titleline; mso-style-unhide:no;} .msochpdefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family:”MS 明朝”; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-fareast-language:ja;} @page wordsection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.wordsection1 {page:wordsection1;} –>

A technician in Columbia Station, OH, was using a cutting torch when sparks hit the ground and ignited gas that had been spilled on the shop floor. The fire quickly spread and several businesses were destroyed.

Below is the article as it appeared on the Fox 8 News website.

Fire Officials Determine Cause of Columbia Station Blaze

By Lindsay Buckingham
FOX8.com Reporter

January 15, 2012

COLUMBIA STATION, Ohio — A massive blaze that destroyed several businesses in Lorain County Saturday afternoon has been ruled accidental, the Columbia Township Fire Department confirmed Sunday.

Chief Ray Anthony told Fox 8 News the fire started in an auto repair shop at the rear of the complex at 27201 Royalton Road.

Ray said the problem began when a mechanic removed a gas tank from a car and unknowingly leaked fuel onto the floor. Then, as the worker used a cutting torch, sparks hit the ground and ignited the spilled gas. The employee tried using a fire extinguisher, but the effort backfired as the flames were pushed and spread.

To read the entire article on the Fox 8 News website, visit http://bit.ly/zHt1HT.

You May Also Like

BendPak Founder Don Henthorn Passes Away

Grew company from small machine shop to global leader in car lifts and garage equipment.

Don Henthorn, owner and founder of BendPak Inc., peacefully passed away at home Thursday, March 28, at the age of 85. Under his leadership, BendPak has grown from a small machine shop to one of the world’s leading manufacturers of car lifts and automotive service equipment.

Management and operations of the privately owned company are unchanged. 

ASE Practice Tests Available Online

You can get a good idea of what to expect by adding the official ASE practice tests to your study plans.

AACF Celebrates 65 Years Serving the Aftermarket

AACF will be announcing more details about this commemorative fundraiser April 1st.

Bendix Releases Technical Materials for ADAS Support

They are designed to help technicians properly set up, inspect, and diagnose several components integrated with ADAS.

Dayco Adds Almost 30 Part Numbers in March

The 29 new part numbers will be available by the end of March for distributors interested in adding to their product coverage.

Other Posts

ASE Designates June as Automotive Service Professionals Month

ASE urges industry members to embrace Automotive Service Professionals Month as a platform for expressing gratitude.

ZF Aftermarket Releases 80 New Parts

The latest additions expand coverage to more than 5 million vehicles in operation.

Vehlo Acquires Shop Management Software, Shop-Ware

Shop-Ware is a cloud-based shop management platform catering to independent automotive aftermarket repair shops.

Auto Care Association Launches REPAIR Act Video

The goal is to emphasize the need for federal REPAIR Act legislation, according to the Auto Care Association.