2007 (KA) Nitro
2005-’07 (LX) 300/Magnum/ Charger and (WK) Grand Cherokee
2006-’07 (XK) Commander
Note: This bulletin only applies to RWD vehicles equipped with NAGI transmission (sales code DGJ).
A ringing, snapping or popping sound may be heard coming from the driveline when the transmission is shifted from Forward to Reverse or Reverse to Forward. The sound may also occur when the brakes are released after shifting into or out of Drive or Reverse.
Start the vehicle, apply the park brake and shift the transmission from Forward to Reverse and back with the brakes applied. If the sound is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
Caution: Mark the propeller shaft in relation to the transmission and axle flanges prior to removal.
1. Remove the propeller shaft.
2. Using Special Tools C-3281 (flange holder) and 8992 (flange puller), remove the transmission output shaft nut and remove the flange (see Figure 1).
3. Is your vehicle one of the following vehicle/engine configurations?
• 2005 LX 5.7L built prior to Aug. 18, 2004?
• 2005 LX6.1L or WK 3.7L built prior to June 22, 2005?
• 2006 LX 3.5L built prior to June 22, 2005?
a. Yes > Proceed to step 4.
b. No > Proceed to step 5.
4. Replace the output flange with corresponding the part number in the Parts Table at right.
5. Clean the splines on the output shaft and the output flange and apply a thin coating of Mopar Stud N’ Bearing Mount Adhesive (P/N 04318031) or equivalent to the splines of the output flange.
6. Install the flange and tighten the nut to 200 Nm (150 ft.-lbs.).
7. Stake the nut using 9078 staking tool and C-4171 drive handle.
8. Install the propeller shaft.
Part Part No.
Nut-Collar Double Hex 52108234AA
Output Flange (3.5L) 05175566AA
Output Flange (3.7L) 52108628AB
Output Flange (5.7L) 05135158A
Output Flange (6.1L) 05170003AB
Courtesy of Mitchell 1.