Some customers with a 2003-2005 4Runner may experience a slightly lower brake pedal feel on an intermittent basis. A new brake pad anti-squeal shim service part has been developed to address this concern.
1. Remove the front wheels.
2. Remove the front disc brake anti-rattle pins.
3. Remove the front disc brake pads.
4. Remove the anti-squeal shims.
5. Install the new anti-squeal shims (P/N 04945-35120).
Note: There should be no oil or grease on the friction surfaces of the brake pads and the front disc.
6. Install the front disc brake pad with shims.
7. Install the front disc brake anti-rattle pins.
Note: When installing the pin hole clip, be sure to install the pin hole clip with the handle facing to the vehicle center.
8. Check the fluid level in the reservoir.
9. Check for any brake fluid leakage.
10. Install the front wheels. Torque: 112 Nm (1142 kgf.cm, 83 ft.-lbs.)
Technical service bulletin courtesy of Mitchell 1.
For more information on Mitchell 1 products and services, automotive professionals can log onto the company’s website at www.mitchell1.com.