Applies To: 2007-’11
CR-V all VINs beginning with JHL.
There’s a squeak or rattle coming from the rear of the vehicle when it’s driven. On Japan-built CR-Vs, the rear damper assembly includes a small metal hook and body bracket, which are used only during vehicle assembly at the factory.
The hook or the bracket may have been bent and is touching the vehicle body or the damper assembly, causing a squeak or rattle.
1. Do a diagnostic test-drive of the vehicle to confirm the complaint and to determine which side the sound is coming from.
2. On the affected side, remove the plastic panel covering the rear damper tower.
3. Remove the rear wheelhouse gusset.
4. Do the following checks to determine what’s causing the noise (see Fig. 1):
Check if the damper’s metal hook is bent and touching the washer or any other part of the damper assembly.
Check if the welded-on body bracket is bent and touching the body or the damper assembly.
5. If either the hook or the bracket is touching the body or damper assembly, bend that part away so it doesn’t make contact.
6. Reinstall the rear wheelhouse gusset.
7. Reinstall the rear damper tower panel.
8. Drive the vehicle to make sure that the noise is gone.
Courtesy of ALLDATA.