Fuel pump repair jobs involve complete, systematic diagnostic procedures and thorough evaluation of the entire fuel delivery system. It is important to convey the complexity of modern fuel delivery systems to customers, as fuel pump repair is no longer a matter of simply attaching a replacement unit. Modern fuel pumps are complex modular units that are usually located inside the fuel tank. Replacement may require fuel tank removal, new electrical connectors, and precise positioning to ensure proper operation. And a clean fuel tank is an essential part of the job.
REQUIREMENTS FOR TROUBLE-FREE PERFORMANCE:
Install a new fuel pump filter/strainer (if the replacement unit does not include one) to prevent any remaining contaminants from interfering with proper fuel system operation; and
Check of the integrity of the electrical connections, supply and return lines, and fuel injectors to ensure trouble-free operation from the replacement pump.
Today’s fuel pumps must operate in adverse conditions that the OEM pump was not necessarily designed to withstand. With use and mileage, fuel tanks retain dirt and contaminants due to age and repeated fuel fill-ups. Airtex recommends thorough in-tank cleaning and fuel pump filter/strainer replacement to ensure reliable performance mile after mile, year after year.
ALWAYS FOLLOW THESE RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Thoroughly clean the inside of the fuel tank;
- Always replace the fuel pump filter/strainer;
- Recommend replacement of the vehicle’s inline fuel filter;
- Thoroughly check the fuel pump electrical connections (vehicle wiring harness);
- Maintain proper fuel level in the tank to assure consistent fuel supply to the pump and prevent driveability problems;
- Always refill the tank from a trusted source (reduces possibility of poor quality or contaminated fuel); and
- Demand an Airtex replacement fuel pump.
Tech Tip courtesy of Airtex.
Airtex is a trusted OE supplier and uses this experience as a benchmark for fuel pump design. The Airtex commitment to OEM or better performance is reflected in the technology, product development methodology, and position as a leading supplier of fuel pumps in the automotive aftermarket.
For additional information, visit www.airtexproducts.com.