New Vehicle Registrations Show Record Levels For SUVs

New Vehicle Registrations Show Record Levels For SUVs

Tom Libby, loyalty principal, IHS Markit, has shared his commentary on recent shifts in consumer vehicle preferences.

Tom Libby, loyalty principal, IHS Markit, has shared the following commentary on recent shifts in consumer vehicle preferences.

It’s well known that there’s been an ongoing shift in U.S. consumer preferences toward sport utility vehicles; however, what may not be as widely recognized is the magnitude of this change so far this year.  A recent analysis of IHS Markit new vehicle registrations through July, 2020 (the most recent available) finds sport utilities account for 50% of all new vehicle registrations, up from 31% ten years ago (a 61% increase).  If today’s mix  continues for the remainder of 2020, it would mean not only that every other U.S. buyer is acquiring an SUV, but it also would mark the first time since 1987 that one body style has captured half of the U.S. new vehicle industry (IHS Markit data available for this analysis is only available through 1987). 

This movement toward sport utilities is more acute in the luxury space where SUV share currently stands at 64%.  Together with sedans (with a share of 27%), these two body styles account for 91% of all new luxury vehicle deliveries.  The lack of pickups in the luxury space by default drives up the shares of other body styles. 

Market share for mainstream pickups has also grown, driven in part by intense competition among the domestic manufacturers that dominate this space. Through July, pickups account for 19.9% of new vehicle registrations in the US, outpacing sedans for the first time in recent history.  Half-ton full-size pickup share has grown from 8.8% in 2014 to 11.6% July 2020 CYTD, and three quarter/one-ton full-size pickup share has increased from 3.3% to 4.1% over the same timeframe.

Midsize pickups, which typically do not garner as much publicity as their larger stable mates, have experienced tremendous growth since 2014, with their share more than doubling from 1.5% to 4.2%.  The recent re-entry of Ranger has increased interest in this category and provided another challenge to the ubiquitous Tacoma.

Sedans continue to lose ground.  From their peak of 44.8% of the market in 1991, sedan share has plunged to just 19.2% through July, the lowest share for the segment since 1987.

With SUV/CUVs and pickups now accounting for more than two thirds of all U.S. new vehicle registrations, while some OEMs have made their move to align portfolios, the real question is if we start to see others follow suit as we also anticipate future trends including inevitable fragmentation within these categorie

Note: Data are based on IHS Markit total new light vehicle registrations, including analysis of data from our historic archives dating to 1987 and current insight from January 2010-July, 2020.

You May Also Like

Continental Releases 67 New Part Numbers

Twenty-two new import part numbers, as well as 39 new pulley and tensioner part numbers, are immediately available.

Continental announced a continued development of its import line of products with the addition of 22 new part numbers, as well as the expansion of its metals program, including 39 new pulley and tensioner part numbers. The new product line extensions are immediately available, Continental said.

39 Tensioners and Pulleys

Standard Motor Products Introduces 268 New Numbers

The release provides new coverage in 75 product categories and 80 part numbers for 2023 and 2024 model-year vehicles, SMP said.

BCA Bearings Unveils 2024 Endless Summer Promotion

The Endless Summer promotion runs from May 1 through June 30, 2024.

Clarios to Supply High-Performance AGM Battery to Major OEM

It offers up to 80% reduction in CO2 emissions over traditional AGM batteries, in many cases, Clarios said.

Philips Announces GoPure GP5212 Automotive Air Purifier

It uses a 3-layer filter to deliver cleaner, healthier, fresher air on the go, Lumileds said.

Other Posts
Snap-on Announces Latest Software Release

The latest software includes new coverage and guided component tests and features.

AACF Launches 65th Anniversary Fundraising Initiative

The campaign aims to raise $65,000 through 1,000 donations of $65 each.

BendPak Founder Don Henthorn Passes Away

Grew company from small machine shop to global leader in car lifts and garage equipment.

ASE Practice Tests Available Online

You can get a good idea of what to expect by adding the official ASE practice tests to your study plans.