With gas prices falling and consumers more likely now than a year ago to be taking driving trips and vacations, there’s no better time than during the summer months to promote preventive maintenance services at your shop, to get your customers’ vehicles “road ready.”
Add this to the fact that unperformed maintenance continues to rise, and it makes for the perfect opportunity to do something good for your customers, promote your technicians’ repair expertise and emphasize your commitment to quality repairs.
The Car Care Council’s website (www.carcare.org) contains a wealth of car care information to help motorists address needed maintenance or repairs before hitting the road.
Staying on top of a vehicle’s service needs will not only save money at the pump, but will also help to avoid the costly repairs and inconvenience of breaking down at the side of the road,” says Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council.
The pre-trip vehicle checklist recommended by the Car Care Council includes:
• Perform a tune-up to help the engine deliver the best balance of power and fuel economy and produce the lowest level of emissions.
• Check the brake system and make sure the battery connection is clean, tight and corrosion-free.
• Check filters and fluids, including engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission, as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant. Dirty air filters can waste gas and cause the engine to lose power.
• Check the hoses and belts that can become cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or show signs of excessive wear. These are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering and the cooling system.
• Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Underinflated tires reduce a vehicle’s fuel economy and uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
• Check that the gas cap is not damaged, loose or missing to prevent gas from spilling or evaporating.
What are you waiting for? Educate your customers now about how much money they can save with proper vehicle maintenance. And, when customers are more “car care aware,” everyone wins!